Thursday, November 11, 2010

What's Next?

Good question...I don't know.

I finished my time with The Help (click here for more info) sometime in early October. It was much too short; I didn't want it to end. I feel like I barely scratched the surface of the film industry, and then it became time for me to move on. I had no idea what I would do.

During my time with The Help I had the opportunity to really watch a movie being made. I've observed countless different jobs on set, and I'm beginning to narrow down the areas that I'd be interested in working. As I mentioned in previous blogs, my ultimate desire is to pursue acting once again. However, I've discovered that I'm also interested in the production side of things. I've also found that in this industry you don't have to be confined to just one thing. I like that.

I was considering a move to LA, but the timing just didn't feel right. I didn't have any money, no promise of a job, and truth be told, I've never actually been to LA. I didn't know what to expect. Plus, I didn't have any recent roles on my resume, aside from my experience as a Stand-In. The last role that I had was 10 years ago when I played RADAR in our High School Production of M*A*S*H. I know that I can still act, but I need to get some resume credits to prove it.

I started focusing my efforts on some cities in the South. I spent a few weeks in Memphis, went to the Indie Film festival, met some people, and checked out the opportunities. It became clear that most of the productions were elsewhere. In fact, I found out that the re-make of Footloose was between Memphis and Atlanta...and chose Atlanta. The same thing happened with The Blind Side back a year or 2 ago. Atlanta was quickly becoming a valid option.

My buddy James offered me a place to stay in Atlanta while I figured some things out. I started researching opportunities in Atlanta. I needed a reason to go.

I found my way to the Atlanta Film Commission website, and eventually saw an opportunity to be an Extra on MTV's new TV series "Teen Wolf". I sent them an e-mail, and a few days later they called me. I couldn't believe it. They wanted me to be a "student at a lacrosse game" for a 2 day shoot a few days from when they called. I started packing.

While I didn't know what I would do after Teen Wolf, I was hopeful. I knew that I just needed the opportunity to be there, and the next step would become clear. Would I make some connections and apply as a crew member? Would they need the services of an "experienced" stand in? would they scoop me out of the bleachers and put me in the show? unlikely, but I suppose crazier things have happened. It's fun to dream.

At Teen Wolf, I made some valuable connections with other Extras. Some of the people there had some incredible information on finding more work. There were e-mail addresses, facebook pages, websites, etc. None of which I had known about previously, and all of which were helpful. I wrote it all down.

It was the use of those resources that lead me to my next job. The Vampire Diaries. The extras casting people e-mailed me and asked me to work in a scene at a bar/grill. I would be the only Male bartender. I was excited.

I really enjoyed being a part of that production. I don't know that my face will ever actually be seen on screen, but I did have a slightly bigger part than in the other production. My job was to hand some coffee to the Sheriff and then make my way down the bar asking if the other patrons needed anything. Considering my experience as a bartender a few years ago, I felt right at home.

Someone that I met on the set of Vampire Diaries gave me another e-mail address. He told me that they were looking for extras tomorrow, and that I should apply ASAP. I e-mailed the production company, and received a phone call less than 30 minutes later.

As it turned out, what I had applied for was as an extra in a movie called "The Change Up" (click here for more details). I came to find out that the main characters in the movie are Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman. I was to be one of 4 "Parks Department" employees in a scene they were shooting tomorrow. I had no idea what to expect.

God smiled on me this day. It was an awesome experience. I was given a desk at a "DMV" type office at the Parks Department, and told to look bored and somewhat busy. As they began to set up the scene, I quickly realized that I was going to be right behind the action. In a scene with Jason Bateman, Ryan Reynolds, and another actress who is playing a Parks Department employee. When the camera shows her, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to see me. I'll probably be blurry, and you better not blink...but if you pause the movie at just the right moment...you might be able to see my arm. haha kidding, I haven't seen the footage yet so I have no idea what to expect.

That day was bitter sweet, because when I went to go get my car (because I was going to be driving it in the next scene) I found that I had gotten broken in to. It was clear that whoever it was, was going for a laptop bag. Luckily the bag was mostly empty. They only took a webcam, but broke my window.


robbery in a parking garage

It could have been a whole lot worse. You may not be able to tell, but I had approximately half my life in my car at the moment of the break in. Plenty of expensive things that could have gotten stolen...and all they took was a webcam. I actually felt really blessed. Then I had to call the movie people and tell them I couldn't make it for the next scene.

The movie people were very understanding, and felt terrible. They took down my information to keep in touch, at which point I asked them about working for the movie. They gave me an address to e-mail my resume. If this break-in leads to a job working on another movie...I'd say it's a win.

Last night I had another small job for a BET show called "The Game". I was part of a group of paparazzi. I doubt I'll ever actually be seen on camera, but it was fun, and a good experience.

So here I am again, back to square 1. I suppose I'm going to have to get used to it; that's the way this business works. Right now I'm hoping to get a job on a crew (Production Assistant or set dresser?) for a movie or TV show. I'd really like to get an actual audition for something...preferably something that PAYS...but let's not get greedy. It seems that God has been illuminating ONLY the very next step, and in His own time. Sometimes I don't even know what I'll be doing tomorrow. It's been quite the adventure.

Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

2 comments:

  1. Steven, a smile was on my face the entire time I read this. You really are making some headway man. Im so proud of you, way to risk it all. I love the fact that you getting opportunity after opportunity. I will continue to pray for your next gig...stay patient. ReddBrew is in the works!! Love you man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going well...time for another update though?!

    ReplyDelete