Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Where has the time gone?

For some reason my last post was listed as October 2010. It was actually some time in November. I fixed it on there. I started to get really nervous because I was having trouble recalling what I did for an entire month. Don't worry, got it figured out.

Since my time as an "extra" in The Vampire Diaries, and The Change-Up, the extra "well" has run dry a bit. A lot of random events prevented me from working on days that I might have otherwise been able to work. But, I did have an audition for an independent short film...Unfortunately I didn't get the part.

You'd think I would have been disappointed, but it really wasn't a big deal. I was proud of myself for going on the first audition I've been on in the past 10 years. I had forgotten how those things worked! In a book that I read about acting, it said that getting the audition is the success, not necessarily getting the part. Yes...obviously the goal of the audition is to get the part, but once you audition, you have no control over why they do or don't pick you. You could be too short, too tall, too blonde or too brunette. Your voice could be too high or your eyes could be too blue. In the case of a friend of mine, he auditioned for a feature film, and didn't get the role because his eyes weren't far enough apart. Sometimes it has nothing to do with your acting abilities what-so-ever.

After the audition, I was proud of myself for doing it. Could I have done better? Everything I do, I think of 19 ways I could have done better...I'm my worst critic. Could I have done worse? Of course. Over-all, it was definitely a success. I got the audition, did what they asked when they asked, said thank you, and I left.

Around that time, I found out that I got imdb credit for my first time in The Change-Up. If you click here and scroll down, you'll see me. I'm a Parks Department Employee...and I don't have a picture up. You have to pay for that sorta thing. A few days later I was an extra in The Change-Up again. Not as recognizable of a role as the first time, but it was fun to do.

In December, things started slowing down big time. Lots of productions started breaking for the holidays. So, sometime in mid-December I went to Philadelphia to help James move. This was no small task. It took us a little over a week of 5-6 hour days. Thousands of individual items that all had to be put in one of 5 categories: Sell, Keep, Store, Donate, or Throw Away. Here is a picture of James with a bunch of silver that we were cataloging for the estate sale.



We worked hard, and played hard. I had never been to Philadelphia before, nor had I really ever experienced "city life" so it was a great time. One weekend, James and I went to NYC for a night and a day. I got to see some great people that I worked with on The Help, and Campbell was there visiting as well. I haven't been to NYC since March 2001 (before 9-11...obviously) so it was great to see the city again as an adult.






Here's a picture of Campbell taking a picture of a bird in front of the Statue of Liberty. -->



















<-- A bald Eagle Statue with the Statue of Liberty in the background. I had a great time in New York and wish I could have stayed longer, but alas, James and I had a long journey ahead. We were leaving in 2 days to embark on a road trip from Philadelphia to Atlanta. This was our setup: 2 dudes, a 16 foot truck, a car on a trailer, and a cat. And yes...I'm allergic to cats.
It took us much longer than a normal road trip because we weren't supposed to go over 55mph. I'm not saying that's what we did....but we weren't supposed to. Otto (the cat) was surprisingly well behaved. Aside from the fact that he didn't like being inside his cat carrying bag.



We drove from Philadelphia to somewhere in North Carolina, then stayed in a hotel. The next day we drove the rest of the way to Atlanta, and straight to a storage unit where we filled a 10x10. It was a long trip. The next morning (Dec. 23rd) I drove down to Florida for Christmas, and have been here ever since.

I'll be honest, it's a confusing time right now. I'm not sure whether to make a more permanent move to Atlanta, or if LA is where I really need to be. I have some exciting potential opportunities in both places, but nothing that's a done deal. It doesn't seem smart to sign an apartment lease in either place at the moment. I've just been praying for some clarity...preferably in the form of a job...in the film industry. All I know is that I'm going to be in Atlanta for that audition on the 15th. A lot can happen between now and then.

Also, The Vampire Diaries starts back up Jan 27th, and I'm fairly certain it's the one I'm in. Feel free to watch it if you'd like, but don't get your hopes up....and don't blink!

No comments:

Post a Comment